This policy is intended to meet the requirements of the Customer Service Standards included in the Integrated Accessibility Standards under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. It applies to the provision of goods and services to the public or other third parties, not to the goods themselves.
All goods and services provided by Franworks Group of Companies (Franworks) shall follow the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity.
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
Franworks is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
DEFINITION OF DISABILITY
The term disability as defined by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code, refers to:
· Any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device
· A condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability
· A learning disability, or dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language
· A mental disorder
· An injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997
THE PROVISIONS OF GOODS AND SERVICES TO PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
Franworks will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
· Ensuring that all Guests receive the same value and quality
· Allowing Guests with disabilities to do things in their own ways, at their own pace when accessing goods and services as long as this does not present a safety risk
· Using alternative methods when possible to ensure that Guests with disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in a similar manner
· Considering individual needs when providing goods and services
· Communicating in a manner that considers the Guest's disability
THE USE OF ASSISTIVE DEVICES
Assistive Devices are defined as technical aid, communication device or other instrument that is used to maintain or improve the functional abilities of people with disabilities. Personal assistive devices are typically devices that Guests bring with them such as a wheelchair, walker or a personal oxygen tank that might assist in hearing, seeing, communicating, moving, breathing, remembering and/or reading.
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing goods or services provided by Franworks. In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure the access of goods and services.
An animal is a service animal for a person with a disability if,
(a) it is readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to his or her disability; or
(b) the person provides a letter from a Regulated Health Professional (including but not limited to physiologist, psychotherapist, chiropractor, nurse, physician, mental health therapist, etc.) confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability.
A Guest with a disability that is accompanied by a service animal will be welcome to premises that are open to the public unless otherwise excluded by law. "No pet" policies do not apply to guide dogs, service animals and/or service dogs.
THE USE OF SUPPORT PERSONS
A support person is an individual who accompanies a Guest with disabilities to help the Guest meet his or her communication, mobility, personal care or medical needs or to assist the Guest in accessing goods and/or services. A Guest with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter Franworks premises together with the support person, and will not be prevented from having access to the support person while on the premises.
All will not support persons are welcome at all Franworks properties. Where the presence of a support person is required, any applicable admission fee will be waived. Support persons be included where group gratuity fees apply.
NOTICE OF DISRUPTIONS IN SERVICE
Service disruptions may occur due to reasons that may or may not be within the control or knowledge of Franworks. In the event of any temporary disruptions to facilities or services that Guests with disabilities rely on to access or use Franworks’ goods or services, reasonable efforts will be made to provide notice. In some circumstances such as in the situation of unplanned temporary disruptions, advance notice may not be possible.
In the event that a notification needs to be posted the following information will be included unless it is not readily available or known:
· Goods or services that are disrupted or unavailable
· Reason for the disruption
· Anticipated duration
· A description of alternative services or options
When disruptions occur Franworks will provide notice by:
· Posting notices in conspicuous places including at the point of disruption, at the main entrance and the nearest accessible entrance to the service disruption and/or on the Franworks website
· Contacting Guests with appointments
· Verbally notifying Guests when they are making a reservation or appointment
· By any other method that may be reasonable under the circumstances
Franworks shall provide Guests with the opportunity to provide feedback on the service provided to Guests with disabilities. Information about the feedback process will be readily available to all Guests and notice of the process will be made available by using the contact us section of the website and selecting the category of Accessibility. Feedback can also be provided in the following formats: in person, by telephone, by mail or by email.
Guests can submit feedback to:
Phone Number: (403) 663-3401
Mailing Address: 2nd Floor – 7403 Macleod Trail SW, Calgary, AB, T2H 0L8
Email Address: email@example.com
Guests who provide formal feedback will receive acknowledgement of their feedback, along with any resulting actions based on concerns or complaints that were submitted.
Franworks will provide training for all Associates, Volunteers and third-party business suppliers that engage with Franworks Guests, on how to effectively interact with Guests with disabilities. In addition, everyone who is involved with and/or influences Guest experience policies and standard operating practices and procedures will receive this training. Training will be recorded and updated in respect to any changes to the policies, practices, or procedures surrounding accessibility for Guests with disabilities. Training will be provided within the first week of employment.
Training will include:
· A review of the purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
· A review of the requirements of the Customer Service Standards.
· Instructions on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
· Instructions on how to interact with people with disabilities who:
o use assistive devices;
o require the assistance of a guide dog, service dog or other service animal; or
o require the use of a support person (including the handling of admission fees).
· Instructions on how to use equipment or devices that are available at our premises or that we provide that may help people with disabilities.
· Instructions on what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing your services.
· Franworks' policies, procedures and practices pertaining to providing accessible customer service to Guests with disabilities.
NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY AND FORMAT DOCUMENTS
Franworks shall notify Guests that the documents related to the Guest Service Standards are available upon request and in a format that takes into account the Guest's disability. Notification will be given by posting the information in a conspicuous place owned and operated by Franworks, the Franworks' website and/or any other reasonable method.
MODIFICATION TO THIS OR OTHER POLCIES
Any policy of Franworks that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed. This document is available in an alternate format on request. This policy and related procedures will be reviewed as required in the event of legislative changes.